Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Quick Vegetable Soup

One of my go-to lunches is this vegetable soup. It takes less than 10 minutes to make and the ingredients are so simple. This is one of my eyeball the amounts recipes. All amounts are estimated. I usually season it to taste. You don’t have to add the baby spinach. I just like how it looks and Danny loves spinach. I like to top it with a little bit of cheese for some extra flavor. Today I used mozzarella because that’s what I had in the refrigerator. I served it with some veggie straws on the side.
¾ cup of chicken broth
2 tablespoons of small seashell or any small pasta
2 tablespoons of mixed frozen vegetables
Small handful of baby spinach leaves (optional)
1 tablespoon of tomato sauce
1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
Shredded cheese(optional)

Bring broth to a boil. Add pasta, tomato sauce, and Italian seasoning. Keep at a boil for about 5-6 minutes or until pasta is tender. Add frozen vegetables and spinach. Cook for another 1-2 minutes until vegetables are warm and spinach is wilted. Top with shredded cheese if desired before serving.

I usually use chicken broth but I have made it with vegetable broth too. You can make it with any frozen vegetables. I like mixed vegetables using the best but have used peas and carrots and sometimes just green beans.
Danny devoured 2 toddler sized bowlfuls. There was enough left over for him to have it again for lunch tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment