Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Cilantro Beef Orzo

I am a huge fan of any dish that takes very little time to prepare.   Let's face it, it's hard to cook a gourmet meal when you've got a toddler underfoot.  This dish is ready in about 20 minutes.   I found the recipe for this dish in a magazine years ago.   I don't remember which one.   I lost the clipping ages ago but luckily have made it so often that I have memorized the recipe.  This beef dish is one of my husband's favorites so I was very happy when Danny gobbled it down the first time I served it to him.   



3 cups of beef broth
1 1/2 cups of uncooked orzo
1 can of whole kernel corn
1 can of diced green chilies
1 small onion, chopped
1 bell pepper chopped
1/2  lb lean ground beef
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped

Combine broth, orzo, corn and chilies in large saucepan.   Bring to a boil.   Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until all liquid is absorbed.  While that is cooking, brown ground beef in a large pan.   Add onion and pepper and cook until vegetables are tender.   Drain grease from pan.   After all the liquid has been absorbed in the orzo mixture, stir in the beef, onion and pepper as well as the cilantro.

I usually like to use red pepper because it adds a splash of color but green peppers were on sale when I went shopping.  


Danny liked this dish a lot!   He had 3 bowlfuls and licked his bowl clean each time! 
There were enough leftovers for my husband and Danny to have lunch the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment